Publishing your Moodle Course to Oppia¶
When you have completed Creating your course in Moodle, or at least, are ready to test your course in the OppiaMobile app, then you will need to publish your course to the OppiaMobile server.
From the OppiaMobile Export Block in your Moodle course:
- Select the
connectionyou would like to use (see below: Server Connections - Explained).
- Select the
stylesheetyou would like to use.
- Press the
Export to Oppia Packagebutton.
- On the next page, you will see some options for quizzes and general course settings (see below: OppiaMobile Export Options - Explained)
- After selecting/entering the options, press on
- You will then see the results of the export and an option to either download or publish the course (see below: Download or Publish? - Explained)
Server Connections - Explained¶
There is not a 1-1 connection between a particular Moodle course and an OppiaMobile server. A Moodle course could be published to several OppiaMobile servers, and conversely, an OppiaMobile server could host courses from different Moodle servers.
So when you export a course from Moodle to OppiaMobile, you need to specify which OppiaMobile server you want to export to.
If you do not see the OppiaMobile server you’d like to export to, then you’ll
Add a new server connection, providing:
- Server name - this is just your reference
- The url to the OppiaMobile server
- Username - your username for the OppiaMobile server
- API Key - your API Key for the OppiaMobile server, you can obtain this by logging into the OppiaMobile server and going to ‘My Oppia’ > ‘Edit Profile’
OppiaMobile Export Options - Explained¶
If your course has quizzes, then you will see a table of the quizzes with some options to select:
- No random questions - if you don’t want all the questions to show to the user then select the number of questions that should be shown. They will appear in a random order, so don’t use this if certain questions depend on information from previous questions or info.
- Show feedback - when (if ever) should feedback about the users response # be shown.
- Allow try-again? - should the user be shown the option to try the quiz again straight after completing the quiz.
- Pass Threshold (%) - what’s the threshold (in percent) for the user to pass this quiz.
- Availability - when is the user allowed to access this quiz.
- Max number of attempts - how many attempts can a user have at this quiz.
If the quiz is a pre-test, then only the No random questions option will be used, all other options will be ignored. The user will not receive any feedback for pre-test questions, there is no pass threshold and the user can only attempt the quiz once.
To help specify the order in which courses should appear when users go to download courses in the given tag/category. And also when the course is displayed in the app main menu listing. For example, if you would like your courses to display in a particular order in which users should complete them.
Otherwise courses will display in alphabetical order in the app.
Course default language¶
The ISO-639 code that should be used as the default language for the course content when displayed to users.
In general you do not need to change this from the default
en if your
course has been set up correctly for multilingual content (see: Multilingual Interface and Content in the OppiaMobile App)
By default, this is set to
none so a user will be able to jump around the
course activities however they would like (with the exception of having
completed the pre-test).
To prevent users ‘jumping’ around in this way, you can force users to complete
the course content either by section/topic (select
Sequencing within a
section) or though the whole course (select
Sequencing through whole
If your course includes quizzes, and you select
Sequencing within a
Sequencing through whole course, users must get at least
the quiz pass threshold to be able to progress to the next activity.
Download or Publish? - Explained¶
In general, downloading the course is for when you would like to test the course on your own device first, before making available to users. So you can download the OppiaMobile .zip formatted package and install directly on your own device to check the course.
publish the course, then it will be live for any users of your app.